Saturday, August 21, 2010

Where Have Manners and Consideration Gone on Public Transportation?

It occurred to me while riding the bus one day squeezed between two people who couldn't and shouldn't have tried to fit in the seats, that manners and consideration have been abandoned.  So I have decided to address a few issues that I find troubling and would like to get off my chest.. 

1.  There are days I literally could choke the person who invented cell phones.  As convenient and wonderful as they are, they are also a curse and plague on society.  I am SICK & TIRED of being forced to listen to people's personal conversations.  Most of these conversations are loud, stupid, obnoxious, ignorant, embarrassing and personal.  I do not want to hear about your cheating mate, selfish children, boss, sex life, illnesses, low wage career goals, trade school plans and most of all I don't want to listen to you spread misinformation and gossip.  The ones talking the loudest are usually spreading the least amount of factual information.

2.  Stop trying to squeeze into a space that you CANNOT fit into.  It is neither pleasant nor thrilling for you to prop your behind on me.  I understand you may be tired or want to sit down but there is no room for you.  It is not my fault that by the time you board, it's already crowded.

3.  The subway and buses are not your children's personal playground.  It is not the responsibility of the passengers to entertain and tolerate your children. If your child insists on looking out the window, please at least make sure that they don't put their feet on other passengers.  This may be a shock to you, but most of us would like to arrive at our destinations without your kids shoe print on our clothes.  Hey, if your kids are bored, encourage them to read and write.  That would keep them busy and teach them something they can actually use later in life besides how to be eternally rude.

4.  This city is not your personal trash bin.  Don't discard your used items on the platform.  Try using a trash receptacle.  They're in every subway station.  I see people just literally drop trash, water bottles, empty wrappers, uneaten food, etc. right where they stand.  It's disgusting!  Who raised you?  Animals!

5.  Please stop hocking and spitting on the floor as if you're in your bathroom.  Germs are airborne and the rest of us would rather not catch the bubonic plague from you.  Please just save that nasty little habit for when you get home to your family who love you and think it's acceptable for you to be a pig.

6. COVER YOUR MOUTH!  When you are sick, coughing or whatever, please don't give me your cooties!  I get that you can't always take a sick day, but for crying out loud, give the rest of us a fighting chance to survive.  Cover your mouth!

7.  Who told you I want to talk to you?  Just because I am in your path of sight does not mean I want to hear about your day, children, spouses, friends, family, job, politics or religious beliefs.  I don't know you and this may be a surprise to you, but I didn't leave my house this morning to meet you and hear about your problems or opinions.  Keep it to yourself.  I have my own problems and I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOURS. 

8.  BEGGING ETIQUETTE - If I am ignoring you, it's because I don't care and don't want you in my face.  Don't try to intimidate me into giving you money.  It won't work!  Save your sad stories, most New Yorkers have heard it all.  We just don't believe you and need our own money these days.   You need to take your problems to God, because he is really the only one who can help you at this point.  There is nothing I can do for you and I would rather give my money to charity. 

9.  You were not born to be the center of attention every waking moment.  Please save the attention grabbing tactics for your family.  They are the only ones who think you're cute and see the humor in your loud, arrogant, ignorant, insensitive, offensive behavior.  I don't think you're funny or cute just STUPID!!!

10.  To all you people out there who have multiple kids, baby strollers, large packages, shopping carts, picnic coolers and whatever else you can think of you drag on public transportation,  please consider using a cab or buying a car.  Yes you can afford it.  If you and everyone in your house can afford smart phones, designer clothes, manicures, pedicures, weaves, wigs, braids, wash and sets, jewelry, etc., you can reshuffle your priorities and buy a car or hail a cab. 

With that said, you can probably tell I am sick of public transportation.  So I will gladly accept a luxury model 2010 Mercedes paid in full by any of you who are also sick of me.  Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Hear! Hear! Well done, Sophia. My sentiments precisely.

    Vevlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophia,

    Yes ma'am true wisdom from a wise soul!

    ReplyDelete