Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Unequally Yoked

When partners are mismatched in any way, they are sometimes referred to as "Unequally Yoked."  I don't generally use this terminology, but I have heard it being used often lately.  A friend of mine asked my opinion on the topic after reading about it.  I told her that I felt generally speaking, it was a personal choice for each of us to make for ourselves.  However I do have issues on a personal level with it because it's the same old, same old. Women are always expected to be the ones to compromise.
A well know magazine recently published an online article about women who marry men who make less than they do.  The questions was asked "Would You Marry Someone Who Makes Less Money Than You Do."  I found this question and the responses very interesting. Women are always expected to compromise and  accept whatever shortcomings a man has.  Women are also made to feel that they have fewer choices than men.  Instead of encouraging women to settle, perhaps we should encourage the men to step up their game.  When 700,000 more black women attend and graduate college than men, that's a problem.  Are we letting men be men when we take care of them?

Each of us should strive to live up to our full potential, not just to our spouse's earnings.  Higher household income can mean better neighborhoods, better schools and better quality of life for our families.  The best way to move forward and upward is education. Therefore men as well as women should be in school getting their advanced degrees to improve their quality of life.  If you have or plan to have a family, then you will need to make as much money as you can.  I don't want to be with someone I have to put on my taxes as a dependent. One of the wives in the article made twice what her husband did.  That is not making less, that is a dependent.

No comments:

Post a Comment